Sea Kayak Fiordland (Fiordland Wilderness Experiences)
Doubtful Sound is vast, untouched wilderness. Three times longer than Milford Sound, it has a sea surface area roughly ten times larger due to its longer length and many wonderful secluded waterways and islands to explore.
This two-day trip is all about allowing yourself some quality time to experience a personal adventure; a genuine sea kayaking and camping trip in a remote environment that epitomizes what Fiordland wilderness is all about – and of course, having fun along the way!
Each day involves approximately five hours of kayaking amidst towering cliffs, waterfalls and lush rain forest. Penguins, seals and dolphins are sometimes encountered. In the evening, we camp amidst the forest in Hall Arm beside a fresh water stream – a special place in which to relax as dusk descends.
- Travelling to Doubtful Sound involves crossing beautiful Lake Manapouri by launch and over Wilmot Pass by coach/van
- Small groups – maximum of 8 people per guide
- Top quality sea kayaking equipment
- Experienced kayak guides – who carry all the safety and emergency equipment, make all safety decisions, provide helpful paddling instruction, comprehensive safety briefing and tell you about Doubtful Sound
- Competence in water and moderate fitness required
- Minimum age 16 years
- No paddling experience needed although drive, a can-do attitude and positive outlook all assist
- Te Anau coach connections included (pick ups from most accommodation)
- Delicious picnic lunch available (day 1), if pre-ordered – extra cost
What we provide / What to bring
- Top quality sea kayaking equipment (double expedition style fiberglass sea kayaks), clothing and camping equipment provided
- Hot drinks provided
- Kayakers to supply own food and sleeping bag
- View the full list of What we provide / What to bring
- please ensure you read this information.
Booking requests for 3, 4 and 5 day Doubtful Sound Trips
We operate 3, 4 and 5 day Doubtful Sound trips on a variety of departure dates - please contact us directly for all booking requests for these trips.